View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MrDavid

Re:It's getting harder and harder.

Hi...sleppie

I don’t have Tourette’s syndrome sleepie, nor does anyone from my immediate family. I do know people whose children suffer from tourette’s and other spectrum disorders like autism. These disorders are misunderstood for many reasons and can affect many people on all levels, not just the immediate family. The unfortunate part of all of this is the crude and indignant reactions of those who suffer from another uninformed condition, known as ignorance.

My parents were saints compared to yours, and tried their best to raise us without resorting to shameful practices as yours did. When they didn’t understand something, they sought out ‘good counsel’ instead, which advised them on what to do next. This was their way of saying ‘I don’t know how to handle this’ and allowed the advice of others guide them through the process of ‘remedying’ the situation despite our dysfunctions. I grew up knowing that when mistakes do happen, the benefits can outweigh the consequences if followed by patience and understanding not apathy.

Being alone and misunderstood are the awkward seeds of embarrassment and shame. They can cause us to doubt ourselves and the uncomfortable surroundings outside our own little world. These were just a few of the gnawing impediments to what could become our greatest victory; the freedom to experience the love, compassion and understanding that could break the grips of those intolerant and shameful moments that have plagued us for way too long. My prayer for anyone, especially you sleepie, is to remain close to those who can help alleviate the suffering that others caused. You were meant for so much more, with the God given talents to accomplish many things and this forum and the support of those who do care will be a reminder of how important you are to us –one day at a time.

:ghug3

~God bless~

P.S. Here is a link to a forum that may help.