Thread: 1-Year Mark
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Veritas1

Originally Posted by drunkallnight View Post
Well, today is my one year mark. I did this to prove a point to myself that I can go without alcohol for an entire year. I used to be a 2-bottle a day vodka drinker. I now plan to drink in moderation. I know, I know, all the AA-beaters in here that believe that they are doomed-alkie-victims believe it cant be done, but I also never thought I would go a whole year without alcohol.

Im cured!!!!
Maybe, maybe not. I guess you will see.

If not, we will be here to help.

If so, maybe you weren't an alcoholic to begin with.

The book says to try some controlled drinking to get a full knowledge of your condition.

I don't encourage anyone to drink.

A 2 bottle per day vodka habit, sounds like it was too much. Enough to make you stop.

Thinking that it will be different this time, is something that I can relate with. I made that mistake over and over.

I hope that it is not true for you.

I had one year when I was much younger. I thought...well I proved I could do it, not drink for one year...

Now I can drink again.

This led to 20 more years of hell.

I hope this doesn't happen for you.

Read about the man in the big book that stayed sober for years with a return to drinking. He was dead in 4 years.

Once we return to drinking, we are in a short time as bad as we were.

(If we are real alcoholics).

Again, I can only hope this won't be true for you.

Best wishes
~
More About Alcoholism...

"An exceptional man, he remained bone dry for twenty-five years and retired at the age of fifty-five, after a successful and happy business career. Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men.

Out came his carpet slippers and a bottle. In two months he was in a hospital, puzzled and humiliated. He tried to regulate his drinking for a little while, making several trips to the hospital meantime. Then, gathering all his forces, he attempted to stop altogether and found he could not. Every means of solving his problem which money could buy was at his disposal. Every attempt failed. Though a robust man at retirement, he went to pieces quickly and was dead within four years.

This case contains a powerful lesson. Most of us have believed that if we remained sober for a long stretch, we could thereafter drink normally. But here is a man who at fifty-five years found he was just where he had left off at thirty. We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol."