Thread: O/T My Dad
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LucyA

O/T My Dad

We've just spent a weekend away, me and the kids, my mum and dad and my mums sister.

It was bliss, being together, having loads of spa treatments, relaxing, good weather good food etc.

But myself and my Aunt have realised what my mum has been covering up.
I'm sure after living in the same accommodation for 3 days, that my dad has Alzheimers.
There isn't a lot you can hide when you all live in the same place for any length of time.

I've also found out this weekend that both of my grandparents on my mother side has problems with alcohol, apparently my grandad never worked a Monday!

I've discovered lots this weekend but my Dads mental health is the most important for the moment.

There is no way I can spak to my mum about this, I tried while we were away but she buried her head in the sand. Although she did admit that he wasn't quite how he should be.

He drove along the motorway as if he was drunk, no idea of space or how close he was cutting in front of people! Two fo my kids were in his car on the way there, but they weren't on the way back!

I've made an appointment with my Doctor, who is also my dads doctor for next week, I'm going to tell him all my concerns and see what he advises. I know he cant tell my dad that I've told him anything, but I'm not sure what he cn do with the information I give him.
I've checked
Alzheimer's Association - 10 Signs of Alzheimer's

and my dad scores 10/10 on there, I know it will take more tests than that but I work with people with Alzheimers and my nan had it, I know what it is!

I don't know if I sound like a raving codie here but I need to get his licence taken off him before he kills someone! My mum doesnt drive so she quite happily sits beside him while he pulls in with 5 yards space in front of a big truck!