Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

QUACK!

That is my reaction. Of course it is easy for him to tell you what you need. Reminds me of when my husband gave me a new age CD for Valentine's Day and told me he hoped it brought me peace which he knew I needed.

Of course at first I was grateful that he saw that and wished it for me. But lets get down to why I am not at peace? You are drinking more and more. You are being less and less of a partner. And I am pretty sure you are having an affair. AARGHHHH!

Serenity is a process. It takes many steps. The steps don't always work every time in my experience. I can do the same thing I did yesterday and it will not work so I have to try something else. There are triggers that are unexpected. There are set backs. There are days when serenity is elusive. There are times you can feel it no matter what is going on around you.

Part of achieving serenity is taking care of you and sticking to your boundaries. SO the next time he calls with a crisis or venting or whatever...just detach and tell him you are working on your serenity just as he suggested ...and hang up!