View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
kittykitty

Originally Posted by sprman24 View Post
I am a pretty ruff character and would say a quit strong person. I grew up with foster parents, my real mom was an Alcoholic and Drug addict, and she was using, even when she was pragnent with me. She died when I was 12 years old. I came to Canada when I was 29, and I managed to live here all by myself alone and with no family.
This explains alot.
I strongly encourage you to find an Alanon Group, whether you stay with this man or not. Growing up the child of an Alcoholic, even if only indirectly, will affect you for the rest of your life. It's what has gotten you into the situation you are in right now, believe me.

I know you think that your relationship with him is different, it is special, and you can save it and him. I think it is safe to say that each and every one of us who have experience with an alcoholic BF, GF, husband or wife, felt the same way when we first logged on here. Find someone with a few hundred posts under their name, and go back to their first thread. Read their story from start to finish. Read what brought them here, how it was for them. Then read what happened, and how it is now, and see how well we all did with our A's we were "meant to be with". See how successful we were at "fixing them". See how much of our time, energy, love, and life we gave them, and what we got in return. You have the chance to learn from those of us who have genuinely been where you are right now. It took me over a year, but I finally learned, and I couldn't be happier.

Don't worry about him, please get help for you.