View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Leslie013

Thank you everyone.

I just received an email from his sister. I don't think she knows what is going on but in the email she sent to me and also to him, she invited both of us to her adult son's birthday cookout this Sunday.

I have not replied and probably won't. He can do the explaining on why I'm not there if he goes. I will mail her son a birthday card with a gift card inside it.

X's family has been great to me over the last 4 years. They treated me like I was family. To be honest they are the only family I have other than my sons and grandson.

X's sister does not have good memories of her brother as kids when they were growing up. Recently we had dinner together and she shared a lot of things with me that I did not know about her brother. Many of the things were not pleasant. One comment she made was she hopes I don't let her brother take me down with him.

A few weeks ago we were out with most of his family (about 20) and I remember looking at the group and thinking to myself for the first time, "This is my family" and it made me happy. I never shared that thought with anyone.

Now, they are all gone. I know blood is thicker than water so I will quietly fade out of the picture and he can tell them what he wants.

I guess I always thought I was the one that would make enough of a difference in his life that things would change for him. His entire family told me all the time that X is a much better person since I've been in his life.

Only 3 more hours to go and I can leave work. I think I'm going to find a parking lot when I get off work and allow myself to have a "CRY" fest.

I must stay strong. I must stay strong. I must stay strong.

Thank you for reading