View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

WELCOME to Sober Recovery. You have found a great place with lots of experience, strength and hope (ES&H) from those who have been where you are or are where you are now.

I know that she thinks there may be something in there that would be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back and I will leave her.
No you don't know that. If I had been able to write one at that short of a time in recovery and a family member or SO had asked to read it I too would have said a resounding NO. Why?

Because that list is bringing up feelings, emotions and realities that I/your wife buried under drugs and/or alcohol, and does not know what to do with. That list is for her and her counselor.

Even though when she 'gets out' she will be doing 'intensive outpatient' I would suggest that she look into a Sober Living Facility/House for those 6 to 8 or longer weeks. Why? Because it there more than in treatment, living with other A's that will probably be more 'tolerant' to the mood swings than family will, that she will really start to learn how to live clean and sober.

There will be rules and regulations, and chores, and meetings, and her behavior will 'earn' 'privileges.' Privileges like a day with the family, or an overnight, etc.

For you, I will suggest LOTS of AlAnon. That way by the time she does return to the home, you will be working 'your' program for YOU and she will be working 'her' program for HER.

Your wife is extremely 'fragile' right now. The 'toxins' are still leaving her system, she is 'raw' and has nothing to 'numb' herself. This is not a magical process, it is a 'life long' process to grow and change so that we never return to that life.

In HP's time, when your wife is ready, amends will be made.

AlAnon will help you immensely with your NEED to know. In all likelihood the treatment facility will be holding some counseling for you and the other spouses or SO's and family of the A's in treatment and possibly some 'joint' sessions also.

For now, enjoy the time with your child and start to work on you.

J M H O based on my own experiences in recovery from both alcohol and drugs and codependency for many years now.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care so very much.

Love and hugs,