View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

A few questions re: Alanon Mtgs

I recently realized that my break from Alanon meetings has lasted pretty much the entire school year. My excuses for stopping were initially
  • the need to find one that fits in with my adjusted work schedule and shortened lunch 'hour' to accommodate drop off and pick up times for DS during the school year
  • conflicting schedules with counselling sessions and DV support group meetings
  • being pushed to lead the Alanon group because I was one of the very few consistent faces who would arrive on time. When I told them I was not comfortable leading "Oh COME ON! *disgusted eye-roll expression* You just read from the notebook." Ummm, I already said "No, thank you." and wow, that tone and face you just threw at me really makes me want to lead the group...

So today I got online looking for other meetings.... There are 19 meetings listed. 19 total. The most offered on any one day is 4. OK.... maybe there are open AA meetings I could go to until school is out and my schedule allows for a lunch meeting again.... There are 2 pages in tiny, tiny font of available AA meetings, with the lightest day being about 20 meetings to choose from.

Is this normal? I mean, I'm glad that there are that many AA meetings to support recovering A's, but shouldn't there be just as many Alanon meetings? Why aren't there?

Are there other Alanon meeting lists out there that I'm missing? (I'm thinking not.)

With the evening ones, they don't say Kids OK (well, none do), none have child care available... Would it be rude to show up with DS6yo in tow and dinner for both of us in a bag since we'd be going right from work/picking him up from aftercare to the meeting?

Of the AA meetings listed, only 7 (one meeting same time/location each day) are listed as open. And it's one of the two XAH told the court he goes to. (I truly doubt he goes, because 1. I truly doubt he goes and 2. where the meeting is held - it's not all shiny-new and up to XAH's standards... but if he does go, I'm not at all comfortable being there impinging on his recovery and abusive self...) If other meetings don't say they're closed, are they open?

Back to Alanon - what are Speaker Meetings? Ditto the dinner question here.
Thanks all!