Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Cotesworth))) - Welcome to SR!!

Though I was charged with a different felony (obtaining controlled substances through fraudulent means), it was my first time in trouble with the law, and I was put on a first offender basis...no more charges and it would be erased from my file.

I was an RN, was told by my employer the DEA would be notified, but I never heard from them. Unfortunately, I continued using, was put back in jail for violation of probation, but I finally cleaned my act up and was released off probation 16 months early, and have no felony.

I agree with doing whatever you have to do to show you are active in recovery, even if that means getting into a treatment center.

I also had $4000 of tickets hanging over my head, from when I was out using. By the time I saved $1000, went to the judge and was prepared to make a payment plan, I'd been clean for over a year, and he dismissed the other $3000 in tickets, said "keep up the good work". I was very honest about my addiction, and my recovery, working 2 jobs, and I'm blessed that he gave me a break.

The one thing you DON'T want to do is ignore this. Talk to a lawyer (mine was a court-appointed one, as I was broke) and throw yourself into recovery. I promise, it will only get worse if you don't find recovery. Though I'm still working at low-paying jobs, my life is incredibly better and I don't have that "heart stopping" feeling every time I see a cop.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy