View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
cotesworth19

Busted doctor shopping...how likely that DEA will step in?

I'm new here, and this question might have been asked before but every situation is different...I've been addicted to pain meds since 2006. I finally sought treatment in March 2010 and was put on Suboxone, which allowed me to FINALLY break my physical addiction. I had "doctor shopped" from 2006 until 2010, using my gastro issues and throat issues as excuses, and used my insurance. I never got confronted by an dr, pharmacist or my ins co. Unfortunately I immediately relapsed after weaning myself off Suboxone October of last year and I relapsed HARD. Apparently I saw 10 doctors in less than 30 days at one point and I was constantly in dr offices from October until the very beginning of March this year. I abuse because my anxiety gets so overwhelming that I become completely consumed by it and literally shut down - taking the pain meds gave me that euphoric feeling that allowed me to float through any stressful situation and handle it with ease - I've never been able to do that sober. By the end of February doctors were starting to inform me that my insurance company had contacted them about all the other doctors I'd been seeing and they had been told to no longer issue me narcotic meds. Pharmacies followed thereafter - refusing to fill my scripts. I went back to my Suboxone treatment facility, been sober 2 months now, but was just informed by my addiction counselor that the DEA are very likely to conduct and investigation and there is the possibility I might go to jail. I am DEVASTATED. I didn't know if ANYONE out there knew at what point the DEA does step in, how they conduct their investigation or any useful information...I am a good person who unfortunately is an addict, but I am also a mother, a wife, a daughter, a granddaughter...I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions, I am ashamed, but I am TERRIFIED of losing everything....PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!