View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dashmi

Red face Past heroin use & sexual dysfunction

So my boyfriend is a recovering addict, his drug of choice was heroin. (I didn't know him when he was using.) He's really great, he is very serious about his recovery, is active in NA, and has a good support system. A problem we've been having is that when we have sex he doesn't stay hard the whole time and it takes him a very very long time to finish, if he even does. I don't want to make him feel bad or insecure so I haven't tried to talk to him about it very much.

I can't help but take this a bit personally and wonder if I'm doing something wrong or he's not attracted to me. I don't have any friends or anything who are recovering addicts and I am not an addict, so I don't really know much about the effects of his drug use on sexual function. He said that he hasn't had much sober sex before this, he pretty much always used to do it when he was high. Is this typical for someone who used to use heroin? How long will it take for his sexual function to get back to normal again or will it ever? Also, he doesn't take suboxone or anything like that. Is there anything I can/should do about this? Does sober sex just not feel very good for addicts?

Also, I feel really bad because sex has been really good for me and I'm just worried that he's not enjoying it as much.