Thread: New guy here
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
UofI2008

New guy here

Hey, long time lurker first time poster. I am currently 21 days sober and am trying to find anything that will help me stay that way. This site seems like it will be a fantastic way to do that. I have also signed up for an email AA group.

I've finally made my decision to quit drinking after years of allowing alcohol to control my life. I am, I guess, what you would call a high-functioning alcoholic who has managed to maintain an outward appearance of control and success whilst drinking high amounts of alcohol around 3 to 4 times a week. I have been at least a weekend binge drinker since I was 15. I am now 26 and the last couple years have been a struggle for me though. I have gone from keeping things together to missing lots of work and struggling with my personal relationships. I have never had real legal trouble (got a minor in possesion when I was 19) but these last few months I have been very lucky not too.

Anyways I am here to try and quit for good and have finally realized that there is no either or for me. It is either the negative life that alcohol brings me or a happy and alcohol free life.