View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

It may be "time" for him to grow up, but it doesn't look like that is on the horizon, so don't get yourself in a tizzy over it. He has been this way for a long time and he ain't changing anytime soon. You don't have to have a shred of sympathy for him, but letting yourself get consumed with anger is a distraction when you need to be focused.

Focus on the job situation. If you did not leave, voluntarily, and there is no "cause" for your non-renewal (however people in your profession might view that designation), you should be entitled to unemployment. Unemployment isn't "bound" by the fact that a non-renewal is considered a "black mark" on your resume by those in your profession. The two have nothing to do with each other. It is clear, if everyone in your position was treated the same, that the district did not suddenly decide all of you were bad teachers. I think you can win that one.

Moreover, the same goes for any applications you submit. You attach a letter of explanation. In this economy, everyone recognizes that things aren't normal.

Think outside the box. Teaching and flipping burgers surely are not the only things you are qualified to do. I've filled more than one gap in my work time with temporary/contract positions. Register with some of those. Sometimes those even lead to "regular" jobs with benefits.

I know the prospect of losing your job is a panicky feeling. Things will probably be tight for awhile. Keep a cool head and keep brainstorming. Things WILL work out. You and the kids will not be living under a bridge.

But don't let your anger at your husband derail you from what you need to do for yourself and the kids. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, and believe that you can do what you need to do.

Hugs,