View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

Kjell my friend, sometimes I get so caught up in things that I forget exactly where I am in my recovery. Case in point: my fiancee and I had an argument the other day about some things that she feels I should be taking care of. In the middle of the argument I kind of stopped and said, "You know what, sweetie? I will work on those things, but let's take a look at where we're at now compared to a year ago."

A year ago I was a worthless drunk. I lied, cheated, stole, was irresponsible, didn't care about anyone but myself, couldn't pay my bills but had enough money for booze...I'm sure you're familiar with the list.

But now I'm giving my fiancee over twice as much for bills as I used to every month, my other bills actually get paid on time without me worrying about where the $ will come from, the house is clean and not littered with empty bottles of booze, I can be counted on to do something when I say I will do it, I actually show up to family functions (and not wasted, nonetheless)...I'm sure you're familiar with this list as well.

So basically, I said yeah, there's things that I will continue to work on. But if you look at the progress that I've made since this time last year, it's like I'm a different person. I haven't accomplished everything I need to, but I have accomplished more than anyone could've dreamed just 1 short year ago.

I think it was helpful for us to sit down and take stock of exactly how much better our lives are than they were last March. Being conscious of where I am in my recovery helps us to appreciate how far I've come, and it also helps to rein in some of the expectations my fiancee has, some of which may be unreasonable at this stage of my recovery.

Thanks for your message this morning, good sir. Gave me something to think about, and something to be thankful for.