View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pins

How can I learn to help myself?

I'm 22 years old, and have been heavily drinking since the age of 16. I wouldn't say that my drinking ascended to the level of alcoholism until the age of 19 or 20. I would describe my habits as recurring episodes. I frequently tell myself that I will not drink, yet I keep crawling back into the bottle. I have overcome ecstasy and cocaine addiction, however alcohol has become a much harder habit to kick due to it's ready availability and degree of social acceptance. While I consider myself to be an intelligent person, I am a college drop out. In school I managed to maintain a respectable GPA, but I was frequently hungover or drunk and did not attend my classes on a regular basis. About a year ago, I totaled my car while intoxicated and was arrested for several misdemeanors. Through a plea bargain I got all my charges but the DUI dropped. I attempted suicide a few months ago by drinking a liter of vodka and taking a bottle of valium. Violent vomiting and nausea ensued for about 24 hours. I have been working 70 hours a week between two jobs since leaving college. I make a respectable income($45,000 annually) however I want to go back and finish school. In my free time all that I'm compelled to do is get wasted. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how to cut down on drinking?