View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
March7

Hightara- I love your Freud quote, it cracks me up (I'm half Irish)

I read a few chapters of the AA book last night and woke up early feeling pretty good today. I have a busy day but will probably be checking in here a lot. I need to keep up my focus because it's always a few days after I feel better from the hangover that I get apathetic and lazy about sticking with my plan of sobriety.

One thing that stands out for me in the meeting last night was a woman who said that in her early days, she was attending 3-4 meetings a dsy, because she had to live her regular life while becoming sober. She, like me, had never been to a rehab or hospital for addiction. She said she saw rehab as a luxury, a month off being able to focus solely on sobriety and your own personal journey. I expected that to make some people angry (rehab a luxury???) but it didn't. I think I understand what she was saying, that this is a big commitment that takes a big effort and focus. I know it consumes most of my thoughts right now. Work right now is both a welcome distraction from my own brain, but also somewhat of a dangerous way for me to feel "normal" and lose sight of what is actually my number one priority at the moment. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the challenge of achieving sobriety while going about regular life with no "reset" time from rehab?
Also, I am in no way trying to say that people who go to rehab have it easier, or harder, or any sort of judgement whatsoever. It's just a different experience from mine.