View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Financial Investment in Sobriety

Alcoholism and money woes go hand in hand, I know that. But how do you decide what the best ROI (return on investment) is going to be with regards to sobriety??

As many of you know, I split from AH for 6 weeks ($1300) in order to get myself sane. Good investment. AH decided to go to a counselor to get me back. He's seeing this counselor 3 times a week, but is drinking inbetween, so I'd call that a bad investment. He won't go to AA, another bad financial call--if you go to AA for 90 days in a row and throw a buck in the basket, that's $90, as opposed to about $4k for therapy if you go 3x a week. This counselor is a non-network provider, so it's 50% subject to a high deductable, so it's still pricey.

Counselor is talking about suggesting rehab--by that time we'll probably have hit the deductible, so might not be that bad an investment.

My financial story: I am the breadwinner, and I (foolishly) have supported and cosigned a number of things--a house for HIS mother and brother, as well as HIS business loan--plus I am the sole person on the mortgage for our house because his credit is crappola. He has no money, except now he has a small inheritance from his mother, who passed away last summer. Frankly, I'm kind of happy to just let him do his thing with his money and I can do my thing with my money.

I have been trying with all my power to pay off this debt, and in 16 months have paid off $60k. In spite of the fact that I am paying all the bills, he has managed to put a $15k dent in his mother's modest inheritance since December. Has my paying the bills been an enabling pattern on my behalf? Absolutely. But since I moved out--not sure how to leverage that.

I know I have to put first things first and straighten myself out, but I don't want him to blow through his inheritance (legally I have no claim to it) because I am in my late 50s with 0 in the bank, because of many unfortunate circumstances related to his mother, his business, and the recession, since 2008.

So, where is the best bang for the buck in recovery? Just wondering.