View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Creekryder
Cause no harm

A perspective of time...

A few months ago, I awoke with the concept of time well planted in my alpha-stated mind. I visualized on this thought and this is what I came to:

A pitcher of water, full to the brim, sets atop a shelf. Below is a grate, covering a drainpipe that dispenses itself into a quiet lake from which the sky refills her billowing clouds for spring rains.

A novice is called to sit upon the stone floor as the pitcher is tilted, allowing a slow, constant trickle to fall toward the grate. As he sits, he is to become aware of how the water passes in front of him. His hand drifts through the water and the stream is, but for only a second, diverted and stopped. The water then continues its persistent course through his fingers to the cistern below. The pitcher slowly cedes its volume to the steady flow.

To sit and observe the flow unabated may give pleasure to the viewer, but the water’s use goes without its potential. As he looks up after a few moments, he may notice that the pitcher contains considerably less of its contents. The water continues to pour. But if he were to take a cup, the water could be contained and then put to use—as to quench a thirst. If he took several cups, he could collect more to nurture a plant, to mix with pigments to create a painting, to dampen a cloth and cleanse a wound, or to combine with some with flour to make bread.

Much sooner than expected, the flow begins to ebb. It is realized that the pitcher has discharged itself to where only a few drops cling to the lip. The novice’s lesson is nearly finished. A mere moment remains to reflect the manner in which that container of water was utilized. The pitcher will soon be removed and set outside for the spring rains to refill yet again for another pupil.

Enjoy today...it's everything we have.

Pádraic