Thread: Palpitations
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
qazwsxedc

Palpitations

It appears that I might have a serious problem. I've recently clued in to some symptoms I have been experiencing and its rather alarming. I'm a student and I've been drinking somewhat regularly for about two years. There have actually been periods where I'm drinking up to two liters of vodka a week for stretch of three or four weeks. I always drink at least four liters of water in a sitting and have become rather adept at avoiding any hangover effects. I always drink at night, alone, and I never measure.

Recently I experienced something that I did not attribute to alcohol. I woke up with the most hellacious feeling. No nausea, no headaches, just the most indescribable jangley, jittery feeling with a racing pulse, heart palpitations, shaking, and chest constrictions. This went on for at least five days. I've been to the doctor and I have no detectable problems. Initially, I attributed it to my ridiculous schedule and a completely confused circadian rhythm. I drank again after nearly a month of no alcohol, and here I am again.

Does anyone know what is actually happening physiologically? What causes this feeling and why is it happening now? Why not the other times? There are thousands of people online with this same question. I'm an engineer and I would love to know. Is it some type of vitamin deficiency as a result of the alcohol? I recently stopped taking a heavy multi-vitimin because I thought it was contributing to the insomnia and this happened shortly after.

But I *can* say, I'm done. This s**t is for the birds. I don't chemically need it, it's more of a crutch. I have trouble sleeping and it's so simple to just pull from the bottle and go to bed with that smooth warm feeling. But heck, seizures, delerium tremens, dementia, or this ridiculous feeling?

Nah, I don't need it that bad!