Thread: Tired
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MCESaint

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Welcome to SR! You'll find a lot of support here. We have several men who post here whose wives are alcoholics. I'm sure some of them will be around to share some things that may have helped them. It's a bit slow on weekends, so please, stick around and read and come back often. We're here to support you.

Thanks, Suki. Like I said, I don't know why I chose today to write. I think the stress of this plus the stress of running my own business and dealing with aged parents who are having serious issues (on my side) is just a bit overwhelming.

After my divorce (again to a non-AW), I went through therapy to work on my issues. I dealt with several, but probably not all. Still a work in progress (probably to the grave).

I've asked her time and time again to go to individual therapy to deal with *her* issues which, I think, contribute to her alcoholism. Her insecurities, her issues with her parents, etc. But, it never happened.

And to get to *any* of those other issues, having to conquer this disease too.

It's an enormous task, but - as I tell her - one does not climb Mt. Everest in a single step, in a single day. It's done in many steps over the course of much time.

But, I recognize that I'm near the end of MY rope. Or so it feels today. A drowning life guard does nobody any good.

You can lead a horse to water. You can be enormously patient while it ignores the water and eats loco weed. You can point out the benefits of water and the hazards of loco weed. But, you cannot make the horse drink the water. I can't speak for anyone else, but, at some point, I just get just plain tired and my patience wears out with the horse.

She's a lovely person (sober), good at her job, and good mother (sober). That's what makes it both tough . . . and a shame.