View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

Exactly what do you love about him?

Do you fear that if you don't marry him, you might not ever meet someone better?

Do you want to take care of this person and his problem for a long-term period, and give up years of your life?

Did you ever consider the possibility that you could have someone who would really love and take care of you in return?

Do you need crises in your life to function and this man provides those crises?

Do you think that someday he will straighten himself out and be grateful to you for standing by his side when he was down?

Yeah, other people tried to warn me, too, and I didn't listen. Although, as another poster said, if I hadn't married my drunk ex, I probably would have married someone just like him, or, more likely, would never have gotten married. I divorced my drunk ten years ago, and I have a great daughter, and I've also got the guilt of saddling her forever with an embarrassing, alcoholic dad who just gets more burnt, mean, and stupid every year. As you proceed, realize that your alcoholic is not different or special in any way from the ones the rest of us have married/loved--they are all the exact same person with a different face.