View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
seekingcalm

Welcome to SR, and it is great that your AH is in recovery. The beginning is very very difficult, and the best thing to do is focus on you. Glad you are going to Al-anon; you will begin to understand how best to help yourself.

My exabf, no longer x, and now in recovery for 13 months +, is just beginning to live life as a sober person. It is not easy. But there are many more good days than bad. Drinking is no longer a problem for him...but his "thinking" is often a problem for him. That would not have made sense to me a year ago, but it sure does now.

Patience, and time, and love, and taking care of yourself first and foremost are the only things you can do. His recovery is his own, and we cannot help.

When my bf says that he feels better when he is with me, or when he can talk to me, I call "B...S..." because when we lived together, he drank, and faked recovery, and snuck the drinks, and blamed me for suspecting him. I almost lost my mind trying to believe the unbelievable because I wanted to so much.

I live alone now, which make it much easier for me, but regardless, he is the only one with the power to overcome his addiction and the thinking that goes along with it.

I will add that my bf used to be plagued by anxieties...driving was a major one, the highway, bridges...he could not, and would not. Now he has no problem at all with that. He used to be on high blood pressure meds, and anti-anxiety meds, and is off all meds at this time.