View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TotallyFedUp

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
TotallyFedUp,
I am glad you found your way here. There are many helpful and kind people who will be here soon with some good support for you.

Beth
Thank you, Beth. I am glad I found this place too. It is very comforting to me that I'm not alone in this.

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
You can't. It's that simple. Either he will find the outside help he needs, or he will stay miserable enough to drink again.

Do not kid yourself, no matter what their age, the children 'sense' the tension and know something is not right in their lives.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Thanks Laurie...You're right to say that either he will find the help he needs or he won't. I have trouble with the fact that I can't control the situation and that I shouldn't even try. However, I'm also relieved to know that I can't really "control" the situation. For years, I have been trying while not even knowing that I was. I was feeling victimized while at the same time trying to manipulate his behavior - I have become someone I don't like very much. I am now working on getting back to the person I like

Originally Posted by prich View Post
I live with a dry AH too. Not taking a drink, as we know, is just part of their issues that have nearly destroyed our families. I have been involved here on SR and going to Al Anon for almost a year and I honestly dont know what I would have done without the support I have received. I also have done other things that were just for me. My AH has no program of recovery. Just for today he has not had a drink. I have NO expectations only hope. Take good care of yourself and those you love.
Thanks for sharing this, Prich...It makes me feel so much better to know I am not alone and not crazy! I plan to keep going to Al-anon to seek out the support that I need and to work harder on detaching, which is a major problem for me.
Thanks again