View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Ya know, when I married the first husband, I remembered from an Ann Landers (or Dear Abby or something) column that you shouldn't consider marrying an alcoholic until he's been sober for at least a year. I followed that advice the first time--my first husband was sober a year and actively involved in AA when we got married. He never picked up a drink again.

With husband number two I didn't follow that advice. He had almost died of liver failure, and had had at least a couple of slips when we got married. At best, he had only been sober a few months (though I think, in retrospect, he was drinking when we got married--I was trying to ignore the signs, wanting to be hopeful). Within a couple of months of the marriage he was back to drinking full-time (having lost his job). I only remained living with him for about eight or nine months, when I decided I had made a terrible mistake and couldn't go through all that again.

There are no guarantees in life, but postponing the wedding until he's been sober for at least a year isn't a bad rule of thumb.