View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Alone22

If I knew then what I know now I would have never married my AH. We have been married for over 21 years now, he was my high school sweetheart, we have 3 wonderful kids together and to this day I still love him, but as the others have stated life with an A is very difficult. My AH has admitted he is an A for 8 years now, has tried MANY times to stop drinking, has been to so many AA meetings I don't think he could even come up with a number, taken meds, had counseling, but yet he still choose to drink and lie about it. It messes with his health, it messes with his personality and it has totally messed up our marriage. Right now I am trying to heal me (because after living with an AH for so long it has messed with how I think and feel about life) and I want to be able to reach the point that I am happy and healthy living with him. That may not happen but I am trying. He has never been physically abusive and only a few times perhaps verbally abusive, but he is grumpy, reclusive, and much of the time hard to get along with. Can I find peace and happiness living with that? I guess only time will tell.

As much as you love him and are hopeful that things might be okay in time, getting married to an A is a huge life time risk, one that until you are where many of us are at now you just don't really understand what it can be like.

I urge you to take time to read as much as you can on this topic and seek out counseling so that you are making the best educated choice you can.

Best of luck!