View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

welcome.

Yes, only you can decide. It is your life. You have to choose how you will live it. But delaying any wedding now seems like a very, very wise decision. Simply delaying it may reveal his true colors and motivations. He may be very forceful and demand a wedding. That is just another indicator of how controlling he may be, and how desperately he needs a "sugar mama" to take care of and put up with him. Do you want a husband or a child?

I can tell you for absolute certainty: If I had known my wife's drinking was a problem or would turn into the problem it is now, I would have NEVER married her. I saw no problem symptoms. None. It was all good. But I started seeing them shortly after we married. And I continued to think I was the problem. They are really good at getting us to feel this way, have you noticed? 20+ years later, I'm still dealing with the problems. She's spent over $100K on alcohol, I make a pretty nice living, yet we live pay check to pay check. I have 2 wonderful kids, who are forever going to be adult children of an alcoholic. And they will have their own demons to wrestle with.

If you've read even a few of my posts here, you will have already figured out I champion a "RUN AWAY while you can" philosophy. A marriage is hard, and it is 10 times as hard with an alcoholic.

Think rationally, not emotionally. Spend some more time reading what so many of us on here have endured. And ask if you are prepared to deal with it. Ask yourself if you really WANT to deal with what we've endured. And remind yourself constantly that you can not make him do anything. He has to make the change. Not you.

Did I mention running away? Oh, yes. I did. RUN.