Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AmericanGirl
April 18, 2010

Thanks Supercrew & AnthonyV. After I posted this I did a lot of googling and came up with some interesting stuff, including Why So Many People Can't Make Decisions - WSJ.com . Basically, the article discusses how some people see in black and white and others in shades of grade (a binary distinction in itself, lol) and how there are benefits and disadvantages to both (not that they're really in my control anyway). It's ironic, because I've actually worked very hard to become a "shades of gray" type of thinker, but now I find it contributing to my difficulty making decisions.

I think I'll try that worksheet, Anthony. Another interesting few things I read is that you should consider the value of certain items more than others (not a big surprise, but kind of explains why straight lists are hard for me to visualize) and another thing suggested that you should settle on a possibility that has the least amount of negatives, not necessarily the one that is the mixed bag (pick the more tepid over the mixed bag). So, keeping all these things in mind . . .

SCrew, thanks for your thorough post, it really meant a lot to me. You words were extremely comforting, and you're right, it will be okay no matter what happens. I've been weighing this decision for weeks now and will have more weeks to think about it (which is why I'm posting here, I guess, it's been driving me crazy). And, when the time comes, I will make the choice . . I can't make it quite yet because there are still other variables up in the air/other possibilities. As for the money thing, it's more of . . if I stay where I am now, I will keep living with very little savings, but if I make the change to a better paying job, I will be able to get in a financial position to start a family. So, the trade off isn't just money, it's this bigger thing money can provide. But, for now I'll just keep getting my daily exercise and smiling and try not to overthink it with my shades of gray mind.

And you are both absolutely right about one thing in particular . . . that whatever I decide, accepting it is key.

Thanks!