Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Hi AG,

All decisions are stressful especially if they are going to have a major impact on your life. Basically I try to go about things in a logical manner and list pros and cons of the decision. As far as turning things over to God, you are still going to have to make the decision and live with it. I always hear people say they are going to pray on it or whatever. But with most decisions we normally know what we want, and once you put the thought in your head you brain is working on the decision even when you aren't directly thinking about it and even when you are sleeping.

What I have found in life is most decisions I make as long as I think about all the aspects normally turn out ok, infact better than ok. The things with decisions though is once you make it and you are tied to it, don't rehash what could have been. Keep moving forward, and if for some reason it didn't workout perfect remember that everytime a door closes another one opens. I am finding this even more apparent now that I am sober. Opportunities arise for me everyday as long as I am putting myself out there everyday and looking for them.

Do I regret decisions I made in the past? Yes, but many have to do with drinking, but the other ones I just let them pass and try to learn from them.

As far as dealing with stress, I workout and try to smile alot and try not to procrastnate and keep a positive mindset. I really don't think your question is pertinent to only alcoholics, because everyone deals with stress because stress is part of life. Drinking didn't help me cope with stress it just put it off then made it worse the next day. Once you make your decision decide then that you are going to love it before the changes are made. So much of our everyday happiness really becomes our own decision. If you want to be happy, smile and pretend like you are happy, smiling and acting happy is the major battle, once you start to act the mind will follow.

I now try to enjoy lifes stressors because in most cases when you look back at the things that stressed you out yesterday, they don't seem like such a big deal. Our mind has a way of blowing things out of proportion when they are still in front of us, but once we get past them they don't get a second thought.

Ok now as far as your major decision, security is great, but quality of life (free time, personal enjoyment etc), is what most of us live for. I would look for a happy medium. I don't know what your profession is and I don't know what you aspire to become. Although many will say that money can't buy happiness, there are alot of people with no money who would tell you otherwise. But no matter what you are looking for take some time look at both sides, weigh your options for a couple days, then make your decision and don't look back and be happy about it.

Good luck.