Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Kevin--

The pre-work to doing step 3 is on p60

"The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success."

.......in other words, do you believe in and have you REALLY taken the first step (the "my life's unmanageable" part)? --and can you swallow the 3 pertinent ideas (the ABC's on p 60)?

IF you can get with that (and many ppl stumble there......on that first step reservation - believing they CAN run control their mind and run their own life), then you move onto the "how and the why" (why we make the decision and how we do it):
"First of all, we had to quit playing God."

"Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. When we sincerely took such a position (ie, when we quit playing God and then decided He was the Director and Father - DT), all sorts of remarkable things followed. We had a new Employer (and it ISN'T ME any longer - I don't call all my own shots - DT) .........We were reborn."

ONCE you can do that, then you're ready for your 3rd step prayer.

My personal opinion......most ppl balk at the first step and maybe don't even know it. I sure did....... I still catch myself thinking I'm in control - which is a FIRST step reservation not a 3rd step reservation.

As for "not believing God will ALWAYS keep you safe" that's pretty normal. Thankfully the 3rd step (and the 2nd step) don't ask us to have faith.... we "come to" a position of faith......typically by trying God out. For me, my faith has come on the end of some pretty huge failures and scares in sobriety - just life stuff......that blew up because I made bad choices.....that got soooooo painful I fiiiiiinally threw my hands up, surrendered and ask God (because I was out of options) to give it a shot. To my surprise, things worked out pretty well..... so my "faith" grew a bit that day.

Also, the 3rd step is about DECIDING to walk this new/strange spiritual path....but how do you do that? Well, you start by writing your 4th step inventory. Hmmm, sounds odd huh? Why would you do that when you're not sure of what this decision you just "made" was right? Here's the deal, you're not the director anymore.....God is. You don't call the shots anymore, God does. You're a soldier now, God's the General.....so you take orders. Made a "pledge" to be on His spiritual path and want to get to know God???? - Find out what you're dealing with in 4 and 5, clean up the wreckage of your past in 6 - 9, keep your "present" clear too in 10, seek God in 11 and share the gift of how to do it with others in 12.