View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lookinforward
Editor

Apex- I am new here as well and have found this site to be eye opening. You are not alone. I was a casual beer drinker myself 3-to 4 a night then 6 to 8 then-8 to 12 a night (tall boys). I think that you see the pattern. Oh that was during the week. On the weekend it was time to play. The hardest thing I had to do was to be honest with myself and admit that I had a problem. I have always been scared to quit. My life has been centered around Beer for 25 years. I have quit many times over the years and always convinced myself after a few weeks or months that I could control my consumption. Just this year I quit for 4 weeks and the beer decided that I could just have one or two on the weekend and be ok. Well I was lying to myself. Within a week I was right back on track with my old habits. Long story short. If you are here. You are making your first steps in the right direction. I never new that there were so many people out there with the same hurdles as myself.
I am not 25 anymore trying to quit or 30 or 35. I am turning 41 this weekend and have fooled myself for many many years. I am not living under a bridge(yet). I live in a very nice house. A great career. Pay all my bills. I couldnt have a problem. WRONG! Even your current friends will tell you that you dont have a problem. You are the only one who knows what you do.
In my opinion. For me. Cutting back only fools yourself that you don't have a problem. The things that you are experiencing are not uncommon at all.
Read all through this forum. There are a lot people with many years of sobriety under there belts that give incredible advice and support. Sorry that was kinda long winded. Good luck on your journey. Day by day.
Dave