Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
we have to be lenient and rather *stretchy* for lack of a better word.
I like that, the idea of being "stretchy".

I freely share what has worked for me, and I will encourage people to try AA if they haven't and are avoiding it only out of fear or what they have "heard" (there's a lot of misinfo floating around). OTOH, if someone is following another path and they are succeeding, more power to them, and I will cheer them on just as enthusiastically as if they were picking up a chip at a meeting. There are a lot of non-AA success stories around here, and whatever works for the individual is valid.

I do think there are many people who benefit greatly from the structured way of self-exploration that AA promotes, and I know there are some who failed at every other way of staying sober who succeeded with AA.

But an atmosphere of mutual respect, and neither presuming nor pushing an agenda on anyone's part beyond a wish to be helpful, is of great value on a forum like this.

And I think the mods here to a GREAT job of keeping things civil, even when the discussion gets lively. And discussion is a good thing. It sometimes clarifies things in my own mind, and makes me consider other ideas besides my own.