Thread: Oxford housing?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
texasmagnum

I notice that when my son has been in rehab it's "easy" to a degree because you are immersed in it with no care in the world besides learning about it, talking about it, etc. and you have non-stop support from fellow addicts and counselors. Then you come home and there are many, many more things to deal with, the drive between home and work has bars and stops to see friends, the cell phone has the old numbers in it, the old friends call... in Oxford House, it's like an intermediary step to learn to live in the world without that stuff and more importantly, how to avoid it and avoid relapse. You also learn (for those who's lives were ALL out of kilter due to addiction) how to be responsible as all members need to pull their weight in chores, and be part of house decision making and running. I do think for someone serious about recovery it can be a great step, and if your addict is saying THEY think it's a good idea, I think that indicates they know themselves and feel it would be beneficial. Of course, some houses are better than others, and some people sure do relapse there, but it's got a lot going for it.
Just my 2 cents...