View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jayscott

Hey Shellcrusher -- as you probably know, I'm right there with ya. Papers served late January. That's as far as things have gone so far, but the earlier comment about "your lawyer will had advice" was true for me. If they have any experience, they will have represented mothers and fathers of addicted households on more than one occasion.

I can't speak for all states, but he shared a story with me that was somewhat reassuring. A husband of a recovered alcoholic wife went out of town for the weekend on a business trip...he's a doctor, she's a nurse. Two kids at home with the mom. He came home, found her drunk alone with the kids. Relapses can happen, as we know, and a bad one had happened to her. One week later, he had temporary sole custody of the kids and the house.

Doesn't mean anything is a guarantee, for you or for me, but a detailed journal is certainly difficult to argue with unless your AW tries to say the whole thing is made up. And that's when the addict's anger issues usually undermine them and prove your case for you.