View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Smile Fifteen months!!

With the help of the members here and my wonderful addiction counselor, I'll have 15 months sober tomorrow (Tuesday). I cannot fully describe the difference in living sober. It's huge, it affects every part of my life. I can participate fully in my life and others' lives now that I'm 'awake and aware'.

I am able to 'do' for Miss Daisy now that she's needing real help, real often. Couldn't do it if I were still drinking. I take excellent care of my beloved dogs and it shows in their happy eyes and shiny fur. My house is no longer a wreck; not magazine-perfect, but clean. I do one dog walk a day, weather permitting, and it's good for all of us.

When I was drinking I wasn't living, just existing from bottle to bottle. Now I'm really living and enjoying my life. Keeping my own side of the street clean keeps me busy and out of trouble. I wake up most mornings feeling good and ready for the day, not dreading it. And even on mornings where I'm not the sharpest pencil in the cup, I'm still very much aware that it's not due to drinking!! And that makes me feel good.

So no matter where you are in recovery, never give up on yourself until you 'get it'. I'm so glad I didn't give up. Happy is my new normal now... and that's so cool, since I used to be a miserable mess.

Hugs to all for being there for me and with me on this sober journey.