View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lawssusan72

Welcoming any advise...

As of January 21st, my boyfriend was arrested for domestic abuse. He is an alcoholic. His parents arranged to send him to another state on 2/11/2011 to a halfway house to remove him from all of the bad influence in his life. I had tried numerous times to help him, but regretably failed miserably. Only in turn to have him turn on me.

He recently contacted me, but all I felt throught the conversation was that he needed someone to blame. He seemed very angry and bitter. I was under the impression they had brought him to a rehab facilty, but he instead ended up at a halfway house. He attends AA meetings, but I am not sure if he may just follow procedures to get out of there.

I was never a "big" drinker, a margarita at a Mexican restaurant or a pina coloada on vacation, but when we dated I felt I drank more often because he did. I have decided to cut it out all together, in the fact that I don't need to drink to be happy, and to further understand what he may be going through, and maybe support him, as a friend right now. I am not sure how to let everything go right now, and forgive, but I am willing to try.

Can anyone give me any advise or timeline on the emotions one will go through in the 12 steps? Is his anger a normal part of the process?

Susan