View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MemphisBlues

Why blame the doctors? What good does it do? If we're addicted, we know the solution -- and blaming or resenting or being angry with others isn't the solution.

I have some whopper mental health issues. But addicts are great manipulators. I was an expert at it. I could push my shrink's buttons and get whatever amounts of benzos or antidepressants I wanted, and would downplay my drinking at the same time.

So are doctor's wrong to prescribe the drugs? That's what shrinks do -- see you for 20 minutes and scribble on a prescription pad. And we truck merrily off to the drug store with the "solution" in hand.

We're sick in many ways, especially those with dual diagnoses. It takes figuring out how to be a better person without booze or drugs to gain anything from treatment, either pharmacological or psychotherapeutic.

I told my doctors I drank and smoked pot. They still wrote the scripts. Are they at fault for not drug testing me to determine how much I drank or smoked? On some level you could argue yes. But what does it matter? Will it change where we're at today?

Addiction is as old as when cavemen found fermenting fruit pooling in the mud. But doctors are there to ease our pain, mental and physical, and we knew it and we treated them like Pez dispensers.

Own it and let it go. It's resentment and anger. I had to pray for my shrink. Blaming him was seriously screwing with my recovery.