Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

Intervention is the first step. Detox I would think is the second. Learning strategies and coping mechanisms would be next. But the difficult part is using them in an environment that is not controlled-LIFE. And that is ongoing. What exactly is a medical model? And how do they treat the addiction differently? I think I understand what you mean about the physical addiction part of it but it seems that often if the addiction is addressed physically-there is still an underlying "cause". Anxiety, OCD, sleep disorder,personality disorders. Removing the alcohol does not necessarily treat the mental addiction and the obsession can easily manifest its way onto another substance. Would it be possible for you to share a link to the scientific research or facts that go into a medical model? I too wonder why we don't hear about many "new and improved" methods of treatment other than the AA model which is decades old.
That having been said, I hear folks say that in order for AA to work and be successful you have to follow it and work it the way it has been set up. Not cut corners or adapt it to your own needs. Kind of like a diet. If you sneak in a few candy bars or stop being diligent about portion sizes or healthy choices, it is not going to work. I don't mean to trivialize addiction. I am just putting it in a context that has helped me understand.