View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Total abstinance certainly isn't a problem solver once you get beyond the intial immediate problems that the blackout behaviour causes. However total abstinance enables you to be in a position to get working on and trying to solve your problems, whatever they may be. To drink means that zero problems would be solved, just added to with new problems on top of them.

This is merely my experience however. In my experience then trying to resolve mental health stuff whilst still drinking was like p*ssing in the wind. Total waste of time, I used alcohol as my problem solver and ultimately it doesn't work other than a fleeting oblivion where I couldn't remember my name let alone worry about stuff and it made my head quiet for a while. Didn't last though and the only escape was another blackout. It wasn't going anywhere but the gutter for me and I knew I had too much to give than to waste away on a park bench as much as I loved it at the time in a strange kind of way - I only loved it whilst I had a plastic carrier bag full of tinnies, once they were nearly gone then I hated it and hated myself.

I guess when you're sick to death of it all then you will find your path., I had to reach my personal rock-bottom until I saw with clarity what the score was and experience, feel and see with my own eyes my reality compared to other people and where it would take me to and was indeed taking me to.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic.

All The Best,

Peace