Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
joedris

If you read the 3rd step prayer you get a better understanding of what you're turning over to the care of God. Basically, you're taking your will out of the picture and asking for understanding of God's will. You're asking for God's help here. You're asking for God to show you the path, not take the steps.

Will God always be there. Ah, yeah. Where's He gonna go? Run out for a cigarette or something? (Sorry, I just plagiarised Recycle here) Will He always protect you and keep you safe? No, I don't think God works that way. If a tree falls and you happen to be under it, tough luck. The tree wasn't looking for you. A little thing called gravity had a hand in this, too.

But gravity is a law of nature. God doesn't change the laws of nature any more than he changes the nature of man by interfering with his free will. God can guide us, but He doesn't make the decisions for us. That's why we call it free will. To change nature or man would be a contradiction of what God created, and my God doesn't do contradictions.

But will God help me if I ask. Yeah, my God will. He won't do it for me, but He'll help, He'll show me the way. But it's up to me to take the steps along the path, to do the work.