Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon View Post
is that it-step 3

i prayed yesterday and even tonight but i just dont believe god will ALWAYS be there and ALWAYS keep me safe
If god is, then god always is. God does does not step out to a parallel universe, or even a perpendicular universe, for a cigarette.

As far as keeping safe - is safety god's will or yours? Are you capable of keeping safe always?

Personally, I hate how the 3rd step is worded. It makes us sound like a bunch of religious nut jobs praying about whether to wear red socks or blue. But I have made peace with the 3rd step.

I was frittering my life away trying to run the show. A show that did not need my help to run. There is not very much my will can control. I cannot make anyone else do, say, or think anything. I cannot control nature, fate, time, or random chance. Even within my own mind, I cannot control what I think or feel. My own actions are not completely under my control: When my nose tickles I sneeze, when I need oxygen I breath, when something is funny I laugh, and when a loved one passes I cry. A lot of people here on SR make noise about how they control their decision to drink. The truth for me is that if the desire to escape suffering through alcohol is greater than the desire to stay sober, I'll drink, and I do not believe the strength of those desires is under my control over the long term.

I made the decision to stop trying to control those things I cannot change. The illusion of will stokes my ego to believe many delusions. If I get really honest with myself, I realize my will is only sufficient to set my intention. And the process of setting my intention is not casual in the least. Once set, if my intention is to glorify myself or control something I cannot, I will be an incorrigible mess in very short order.