View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
This has been a challenge because he was afraid to come to me and talk, whereas he usually tells me EVERYTHING. I mean this guy is an open book, which I love.
I am not a parent, but I thought I would comment that perhaps he was afraid to tell you because he was ashamed it was girls.
I can tell that you are a good person, and a good parent, so please understand I'm not implying that he was afraid or ashamed to tell you the truth... It's just that (as I understand it) young men who are raised to be gentlemen are frequently taught things including to treat ladies with respect, and then to throw something like this into the mix can be confusing for a young man trying to do the right thing.

It sounds like you are starting on the right path to solving the problem.
I just wanted to pop in and point out some of the good that has and can come of this issue.

Your son is learning an important lesson about healthy relationships and respect (these girls are not "ladies!"), and he's already gotten closer to you because now he knows he can talk to you about this sort of thing, too!

That said, nobody should have to go through something like this - so I hope it is resolved quickly now that he's talking about it.