View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
OutofIdeas75

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
When I was forced to go to NA eleven years ago now, I had to go to meeting for a few months, and I dreaded the "Jesus" part. It never happened. Yes, the 12 steps listed "higher power" as part of The Program, but not once was I proselytized to (yeah, that WORD again) about religion. I actually began having fun, because I am a people watcher, and I could participate, or not, as much as I wanted. The only BAD part I can remember was having to get there and park. Other than that, I recall it as a positive experience, and I was humbled by the array of humanity that can be addicted.

End of NA part.

As to the other part, the deal with the "bars" and other benzos, using with opiates -- you are the picture of the guy they find dead in bed in the morning, from accidental overdosing using a combo of opiates and benzos. You still think you have it "down" because you know how to research stuff. Surely you have researched the potentiating effect of benzos on opiates? You go without the benzos for a few days, and then wonder why you can't lower your opiate use. You are scaring me to death.

In the case of the acetaminophen you are ingesting, here is what the medical journal, Hepatology, reported in 2005:

Acetaminophen: Most common cause of acute liver failure in US

"In many of the cases of unintentional overdose with acetaminophen, there appeared to be multiple factors at play, the researchers comment. This group was more likely to be taking several different products containing acetaminophen (38%), and they were more likely to be using prescription products containing a combination of acetaminophen with narcotics (63%). The most popular of these was Vicodin (acetaminophen with hydrocodone, Abbott Laboratories). Another issue was that individuals were taking more tablets than the maximum of 4 g daily recommended on product package inserts; the mean daily dose in this group was 7.5 g (1.0-7.8 g)."

Have close look at the drugs you are taking and add up how many grams of acetaminophen you are taking every day. You can see for yourself that the article states that 4 grams/day is the maximum safe dose.

I am giving you this information in this format, because I am NOT giving you medical advice. I am simple giving you the information published in the medical literature.

Here is the citation if you want to look it up: O'Grady JG. Broadening the view of acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Hepatology 2005; 42:1252-1254. Abstract

Look, we know you are not stupid. We know you already know this stuff. What scares us -- me anyway -- is that it is not rational to keep taking hepatotoxic doses of a drug when the liver failure it causes is entirely preventable.

Yeah, I do care. We all do, who take the time to try to help you here. That really is what we are doing.

Just sayin.
I don't mix opiates with benzos. Never do. Example... Yesterday, I last dosed pain meds at 6:30pm. I waited until 10pm to take Valium to go to sleep. I woke up at 4am and took another valium. I slept in most of the morning and didn't dose pain meds until noon. From a normal 49 pain meds/day regimen, I am down to less than 15/day or so now. Like I said, I want to be below 10 by the end of the week, while remaining functional.

I know I was taking way more than the max per day dosage, and I know the risk and possible damage I have caused. Hopefully, like I have said, I haven't hurt myself too much. I am taking steps. Maybe not as fast as some would like, but it is I that is doing it...on a pace I think I can handle without going full blown and losing my job.

Everyone here has been a great sound board. I have taken a lot of advice. The Withdraw Guide you provided in another tread, FT, is invaluable to me. I have it printed out, even...hehe. Really good schedule there! Your description of NA is completely different to what I have read on the NA forums or from what NA members have said. However, I still am weary of any "counseling" or "group therapy", as I want to do this with my wife and I as the only witnesses to this screw up in my life. She is very supportive and I am thankful she is here for me.

These forums are a bit like "group therapy" and feel myself lucky to have found it.