Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

You should seriously think about what will happen if you keep drinking

My good friend Dave is 54 years old though he could pass for 40. He recently had a heart attack. Prior to this he looked to be in great physical shape, was a community leader...an all around great guy. Loved to golf. A lifelong heavy drinker. His arteries had deteriorated to the point where he is inoperable. He is basically confined to home, weak, 5 years to live maximum.

My other friend Len is 48 years old. A good looking dude, washboard abs. He has dimentia as the result of daily alcohol abuse. Used to be a part owner in a car dealership, loved to fish.

My sponsor is in his mid fifties and despite being clean and sober for eight years, cannot get life insurance because his body is so damaged.

Think about what this means to their families - kids, grandkids.

Not scare tactics. Just facts. Alcoholism is deadly serious. We are not invincible. Our body may feel okay but can only take so much poison.

Sobriety is ALWAYS the best option for an alcoholic. Never mind p***ing around for the next 10-20 years trying to control drinking.

I want to live, to enjoy life, to play with my grandkids. I'm going to do what it takes to never have another drink ever again.