View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Linkmeister

There are several double winners in my Al-Anon homegroup.

One gentleman in particular has helped so very much understand alcoholism from both sides of the bottle - listening to his ESH in Al-Anon meetings (his partner is a recovering A) has been a lifesaver for me during the good and bad times with the A in my life. I could relate to what he went through when his partner relapsed, how he handled the beginning of her sobriety and all of those challenges -he did it with grace and humor and dignity.

It was during the non-Al-Anon times - coffee after an Al-anon meeting or when I went to an open AA meeting that I started to see what it was like from the A's perspective - when I would hear him sharing that again, helped me get as far as I am today.

If he mentions AA at an Al-Anon meeting, it will be in passing and always referred to as "the other program I'm in."

Part of our meeting opening states that while we may be members of other 12 step programs, while we are at an Al-Anon meeting, that is our sole focus. We all respect that and focus solely on Al-Anon during that hour.