Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Baschoen

I think lots of people don't realize that many people with addictions have underlying causes for their addiction. For me personally I was a complete self-medicator. Of course sometimes I wanted to get high, but most of the time I used drugs to escape my feelings. I have a very bad anxiety disorder which leads to depression as well as season affective disorder. Drugs were a quick easy fix... I'm trying to find a way to deal with life without them and as of now I'm struggling, but I know I'll get there. I think working with a therapist is a great idea especially if you know you have underlying issues. For some people the 12 steps do it, but for a lot of people its not enough. For me i feel as though my addiction was in many ways a symptom of my disorder. It also makes it a lot harder to work through the steps and get better because I am always looking for that quick fix. It takes patientience and therapy will help teach you that as well as tons of other stuff that will help you. 200 bucks a session seems really expensive, that's what my psychiatrist charges, but we are switching because he is too expensive. I suggest finding a psychologist instead that is inside your insurance network. That way it will work out to ~50 a session.