View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
concernednurse

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
thanks peeps ............ now tell me why even though I've attended hundreds of AA meetings I'm nervous to attend Alanon meetings!!
I have been attending Al-anon for a couple weeks now (My bf is a newly RABF of only a couple weeks...) and I also went to one AA meeting and would like to attend more. There have been alcoholics at my Alanon meetings who share from the Alanon perspective only about they're personal growth...

Two things that occurred to me when reading this. 1. I went to Alanon for ME, and AA to get a better idea of how to get my bf there! .. but ultimately I realized that my true motive for going to AA was to gain a deeper understanding of alcoholism, the struggles that A's go through, and the things that they feel and how AA helps them. I want to see the whole picture from both sides, I think my understanding of alcoholism has helped me immensely in supporting my BF through his beginning stage of recovery. Not everyone is in a place (psychologically where they can, or want) to understand the other side.
And 2. Do you think that your being a "double winner," attending Alanon will allow or prompt you to look into yourself in ways that you never have? From hearing the other side? I imagine that could be one place that the fear of attending originates...