View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wanttohelphim

Thanks, I found the stickies and will do some more reading. Since this just all "came out" a little over a week ago, I've seen a counselor. My husband is going to see the same counselor this week. The counselor does specialize in addiction counseling. Since my husband's liver transplant will probably happen quickly because of how sick (MELD 26) he is, this counselor will have to do for now at least.

He's never been abusive, a good father and husband, his superiors love him, he's worked for the same company for 24 yers. I think he didn't start drinking heavily until about two years ago which is when his mood changed. I thought he was depressed and stressed about his job.

He got Hepatitis in July and I made him go to the doctor. I have all of his medical records and his liver tests. The doctor didn't diagnose the Hepatitis (or alcoholism) and he thus continued to drink and I kept giving him Tylenol. His liver couldn't take the deadly combination of Hepatitis, alcohol, and Tylenol. So from July to January his liver failed quickly and severely. I didn't know what was going on and he didn't want to go back to the doctor because he had just been there and the doctor said he was fine. I finally had to tell him I was leaving and taking the kids if he didn't go back to the doctor. His eyes were yellow and he was fatigued and losing weight. Well he did go then, but it was too late. It's Stage 4 cirrhosis and he was never given a warning by his doctor. He quit drinking about a week before he went back to the doctor because he was feeling so bad.

I know now that amonia was buiding up in his brain because his liver wasn't working properly. He couldn't think clearly which is why I had such a hard time getting him to go to the doctor.

I just want to put that info out there for those who might have friends and family who think they have it all under control. It spiraled out of control fast and he will die without a transplant and might die with one.