View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whostolethesoul

Norm from Cheers

I remeber watching the show Cheers back in the 90s, and still occasionally on reruns now-a-days. In the show, there was a character named "Norm" who was in the bar day in, and day out - always drinking a fresh (free) mug of Boston's finest lager. Evertime he walked in the other patrons would greet him, "NORM!" Classic. Even at that young age (adolesence in 90s) I wanted to be like Norm, not in all aspects because he was always complaining about his wife "Vera," but I wanted that sort of style of life, being a regular at my local.

Well as time passed and drinking at house parties switched to drinking in local watering holes, my wish started to become true. By age 19, I started to become that sort of regular (to a degree). No, people didnt yell my "NAME" as I walked in, but the barkeeps did know me well, know what i drank (and would get it for me without asking), and the other patrons (or "friends") knew the parts of my life that I would tell them (which was cool). I felt like Norm.

BUT!!, what I didnt learn from watching Cheers was, that folks that speand more time sitting at the bar, then working or sleeping, eventually get Drunk. So, my normal day would consist of drink a few (8-10) brews and a few shots, but atleast once a week, I would let my "friends" know things that I didnt want them to know. I would get drunk and act a fool. But, it was cool, they didnt mind, they were drunk too, and the barkeeps didnt care - cuz it was their job, and i tipped well. So, many of the days of the week, my normal would be that. Getting treated like "Norm" from Cheers, but drinking like the old Sam Malone.

Today my "Norm" has changed. Im not going into the local anymore, and it is refreshing. Just as refreshing as the day I started becoming a regular. The newness attracts me now, as it did then - and Im diving right in. Im frieghtened of the newness of being sober wearing off - just as the yurning for acceptance at the bar did. A fresh start has always been good for me, but it has always worn off and became "the Norm" and the norm causes me to drink.

WSTS