View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

Originally Posted by reefbreakbda View Post

Those poor souls we love so much that once lit up our lives and now are dying a slow and sad death through alcoholism.
That was beautifully put.
I don't think we will ever stop worrying about them but we can stop letting it consume us. These are obsessive thoughts. My Al Anon friend calls them "squirrel running in the cage". That is our disease. Two things that have helped me.
Repeating the serenity prayer over and over again and really focusing on what the words mean in my present situation.
Being totally present in the moment and what you are doing. I know this one sounds strange but it has helped me. So for instance, if you are doing laundry-going through the steps out loud as you do them (or in your head if you are at the laundromat and don't want anyone to questions your sanity). "I'm doing laundry, I'm doing laundry, I'm sorting the whites from the darks. I'm measuring the detergent, I'm doing laundry...you get the picture. I know it sounds really weird but try it. It has helped me when I have become obsessive in my thinking.
It is so hard to watch them go down but we do not help by "helping" them.