View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Verbena

You need to learn everything you can about alcoholism. Keep visiting here. This site can be a lifeline for you.

The truth is YOU can't speed up his recovery. He has to manage his own recovery. I think the best thing you can do is to start thinking and planning about how you'll take care of you and the kids as he moves through this process. Al Anon or other programs such as Smart Recovery can help you with this.

You can support him in the areas of nutrition or possibly by passing on information that you come across in your research.

I never discuss drinking with my AH. It's his problem and not mine.

I do occasionally pass him pertinent information (articles etc) as per our agreement. I leave them on his desk. He's free to read it or trash it as he pleases. I never ask him about them. This is really for me--not my AH. It's my way of assuring myself that I've done what I can to encourage him to stop drinking.

Interestingly enough this has helped "me" in a way I didn't expect. Since I don't discuss or interfere with with his drinking, his obnoxious and rude (verbally abusive) behavior toward me has dwindled. It hasn't completely stopped but I've not heard an unkind word from him since February 5. Poor old guy doesn't know I track this stuff.

I am so sorry this is all happening to you. I know your are frightened and worried. I wish you and your family well.